Wednesday 11 June 2014

Empress Zhangsun

Empress Zhangsun

Officially, Empress Zhangsun was born 601AD and died 28th July 636, aged just 35.   Knowing she had but a short time to compile the 30 volume work - Examples for (Bhubezi) Women
(女則, Nü Ze), She began this great compendium aged 9, on completion of  her first official portrait. 

This same portrait, a piece of which you now hold, was presented to Emperor Taizong to commemorate the familial ties their arranged marriage would facilitate. 

The Red Giraffe needs Volumes 13, 17 and 22 if anyone of you perchance posses them?

-      Lost volume 7 was found near her funerary urn (painting number 52).

 OF COURSE it was the same hill where she requested (And I quote)
I hope that you will not build a tomb to cause the people to labor and the empire to waste resources. Make a hill my tomb, and only use brick or wooden implements in the tomb. I hope that Your Imperial Majesty will continue to be close to honest men and stay away from those lacking virtues; that you will accept faithful words and reject wicked flattery; that you will decrease labor and stop hunting. Even as I go into the underworld (She obviously could not let on about Between), if these things happen, I will have no regrets. It is not necessary to summon the sons and daughters back here; if I see them mourn and cry, I will only be saddened.


No comments:

Post a Comment